Submission for Manuscripts
Failing means an automatic rejection.
We want high quality work submitted.
We accept -- most genres - except none with graphic sexual and/or violence material (violence must not be used for shock value, and language must not be overly profane or vulgar - must be appropriate to character and a sample rather than constant) and no poetry. We do not accept stories about bodily functions (bathroom humor) or writings that degrade people. We reserve the right to reject subject matter that doesn't meet our needs or standards.
We accept AUTHORS from the U.S.A., the UK, and Australia because the company that prints our books has plants in those countries. Shipping costs to other countries is too great for us to pay. Until such time as our printer has a facility in Canada, we can NOT accept authors from Canada UNLESS they have relatives in the U.S. where books could be shipped without paying Canada's huge import fees.
The genre tends to focus on issues prevalent in the young adult genre as well as focusing on issues experienced by individuals between the area of childhood and adulthood, such as leaving home for university and getting a job.
New adult is typically considered a subcategory of adult literature rather than young adult literature.
NOTE: Submissions for manuscripts for Children's Books are closed UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. Open for Tweens & Teens, Young Adult, New Adult, Fiction, Nonfiction, Biblical Based are wanted especially for New Adult, Fiction, and Nonfiction
(read first because this is part of guidelines)
- NOTE: U.S. English grammar, spelling, mechanics, etc. are to be used.
- Authors are paid in royalties. Authors do NOT pay for
publishing, editing, or art work.
- We do not accept anything previously published in any format, anywhere, in any language.
- Any material quoted in a manuscript from another source MUST be cited and, if used, must have written permission from the owner of that intellectual property; and a copy of the permission must be included with the manuscript. The only exception is the use of material in the public domain.
- Any submission must be first thoroughly edited and
written to publishing standards, including correct spelling and grammar
(spell check will help with spelling to some extent, but making sure words
are spelled and used correctly is part of writer's responsibility). 4RV
editors will work with authors, who are offered a contract, to meet 4RV
standards and to improve work, but not to do editing and proofreading that
should have been finished, with revision, before submission. We want
polished material submitted, not drafts. One suggestion: run manuscript through grammarly.com, as stated above.
- All material must be in MS Word.
- Acceptance is not guaranteed. It may take 3 months before a submission can be thoroughly evaluated. IF submitter does NOT hear back before or by three (3) months, please contact us or submit elsewhere. If we received the submission, we will contact you one way or the other.
- Electronic submissions are the ONLY type accepted, and
all components must be sent with email as individual attachments in MS
Word, and guidelines must be followed.
President@4rvpublishingllc.com and with a Cc to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submissions for art/design and short stories are to be sent to email addresses given in those guidelines.
10. Special note: IF 4RV requests a full manuscript or any other interest in a submission, the company takes a 3 month option on the work, meaning it cannot be submitted elsewhere unless rejected by 4RV during that time. If the company sends an email voicing further interest (after a full manuscript has been evaluated) in the work, 4RV has 30 days to send a contract or notice of revisions needed before a contract is offered. Until then, submissions should not be offered or a contract accepted anywhere else. The author has the option not to submit.
11. IF we accept the
manuscript, when we send a contract, we will expect the author to send us a
professional level photo to use for publicity (.jpg, 300 dpi), a short
biography, a W-9 tax form, and a marketing plan. The contract will not be
completely honored until we receive the needed information. NOTE: Any photos/images that require adjusting because the wrong resolution is sent, the cost for adjusting or touch ups will be $50 per photo.
12. NOTE: All authors offered a contract are required to have a website and a blog. They are expected to promote their book or books.
13. We normally publish in paperback unless author requests hardback (copies cost more to print and to purchase). If author wants both paperback and hardback, he/she must pay for second ISBN ($50) and second formatting ($250). 4RV doesn't make anything from this, only expenses are covered.
14. For any book to have text on its spine, it must contain at least 48 pages. A book, even children's books, with fewer than 48 pages will not have text on the spine: requirement of the printer, not of 4RV. Therefore, authors wanting text on the spine may need to add such things as discussion questions, background information, glossaries, etc. No back matter will be illustrated by a 4RV artist.
For lengths (number of words per item) expected per genre read THIS.
- E-mail submissions only: Provide a short introduction in the body of your email. Include each of the following as separate attachments:
- Cover letter: include genre, possible imprint, audience age, and content level (rating), marketing/ promotion plan / platform, also note if artist needed (if manuscript is picture book). Need to include legal name, name used for writing, address, phone number, and preferred email address. 2 page limit
- Synopsis of complete book: 4 page limit (not needed for picture book submissions)
- Manuscript: first 3 chapters: Note: for picture books send complete manuscript
- Title attachments as follows, using the title of your work: # title of manuscript - cover letter # title of manuscript -synopsis # title of manuscript -submission
- Format your manuscript as follows:
- Double spaced with paragraphs indented per correct manuscript format in MS Word.
- Only one (1) space after periods. Do NOT use two (2) spaces after periods - to be used for all manuscript material submitted.
- Font such as Times New Roman, easily read, and with correct grammar, punctuation, and capitalization.
- Font size 12
- One inch margins all around.
- Use tab to indent paragraphs.
- Headers must contain the following information:
- First page: Top right corner: first page only 1. Name 2. Address 3. City, State Zip 4. Email address 5. Phone number
- Other pages: Upper right corner, include on one (1) line: author last name, title of book, page number Example: Jones Together Again 6
- For illustrated books, if author provides professional quality illustrations, they must be correct resolution and quality or will not be accepted. Art director will make decision. If an illustrator is needed, please note in cover letter. Sizes of illustrations depend on size of book selected by publisher.
- If we require or request additional material, we ask for an electronic file with material in MS Word.
- Again, ONLY electronic submissions are accepted. Anything mailed will not be returned or evaluated.
To avoid your manuscript being rejected unread, be sure to follow the content and formatting guidelines above.
NOTE: for 4RV Style Manual and other publishing information see the 4RV Style Info page.